Men’s soccer team hopes to make playoffs

Down, 1-0, in the second half and with the game hanging in the balance, the Warriors confidence was demolished as Cerritos capitalized on a tactical error.

A miscommunication between the center midfielder and the goalkeeper deflated the Warriors’ chances of getting back into the game.

“It took the wind out of our sail and killed our momentum,” Shaun Nagano, midfielder, said.

“Nolan called for a header from our center midfielder and the forward for Cerritos read the play well,” Nagano said. “He came out of no where, intercepted the pass and capitalized on our mistake.”

Nolan Dean, goalkeeper, did everything he could to try and keep the ball from going through the net.

“I tried to grab him (the defender) hoping to get a penalty kick instead of giving up the goal,” Dean said.

The Warriors went on to lose the game, 2-0 to a tough Cerritos team that was determined not to have a loss to EC a second time.

“They extracted some revenge from the previous loss,” coach John Britton said.

“Cerritos was coming off of a four-game losing streak. We could tell they wanted it more,” Nagano said. “We were lacking energy and we weren’t hungry enough.”

The Warriors started out flat and surrendered the first goal of the game in the 20-minute mark.

The Warriors knew they were in for a battle.

“We knew it would be hard playing them (Cerritos) they are good at home and we didn’t come out with the passion,” Dean said.

“We started out slow,” Danny Moura, defender, said. “We didn’t play our hardest.”

“I think we weren’t really connecting, it was a huge field. It was hard to connect passes,” Dean said.

After coming off a big win against the defending state champions, Ever Morotoya, assistant coach, said he believes the team was too confident.

“We came out a little flat footed when the game started. We were a little over confident,” Morotoya said.

Fatigue started to set in.

“Our defense played solid. The midfielders were a bit tired because of the effort they put in against Mt. SAC,” Britton said.

“It was hot and dry there (at Cerritos) we were kind of going through the motions,” Dean said.

Towards the end of the game, the Warriors made some substitutions and every team member got a chance to play.

“We made a few substitutions to try some players some playing time,” Morotoya said.

One of the reserves wanted to help his team.

“I just wanted to get out there and help my teammates get the victory,” Harold Morse, forward, said.

The Warriors remain confident and hopeful to make the playoffs.

Their next game is tomorrow against L.A. Harbor College.

“We have to keep our heads up, play together and work hard,” Morse said.

“Our main goal is to make the playoffs, hopefully we can win some of those games,” Morotoya said.