Men’s water polo team sink its competition

The Warriors’ defense immediately goes into action as L.A. Trade Tech’s men’s water polo team scores the first point at Oct. 24’s game in the P.E South Building’s pool.

“They wanted to prove they could beat us, but we wanted to prove that we could beat them again and we did,” Skyler Ulrich, 19, two-meter, said.

Slow to score during the first quarter the team still managed to play a strong defense throughout the game.

“I think they did well against a strong opponent,” Corey Standbury, coach, said. “In the last quarter we scored five goals and they only scored two,” he added.

During the last half of the game the Warriors earned more goals and at one point were tied against Trade Tech, 9-9.

“We got off to a slow start, but we wore them down with our counter attacks and that’s what helped us win the game, was pushing through,” Phil Collins, 21, utility player, said.

The Warriors did in fact push through the water scoring an additional 3-point lead to win the game, 14-2.

“Toward the end of the game we were still struggling until we got the 3 point lead,” Ulrich said.

Players Devin Sanchez, Skyler Ulrich, and Ethan Peak were among the top players of the game defending the goal, playing defense and playing both ends of the courts really well, respectively, Standbury said.

The men’s team beat L.A. Trade Tech last Friday, 19-8, and lost to Santa Monica College, 14-8.

Men’s water polo will next play in the Saddleback Tournament on Oct. 26-27 with the location still yet to be determined.

“They knew they were in for a battle, fortunately we came out on the right side of it,” Standbury said.