Men’s water polo team struggled both days at the San Diego Mesa tournament

Four games in two days was a challenge for the Warriors as they fought to stay afloat at the San Diego Mesa tournament Sept. 21 and 22.

Sophomore Stephen Sorbom, made 13 saves against Grossmont, while Phillip Collins, Matthew Fink, both freshman, and sophomore Ethan Peak each made one goal; totaling the Warriors with a loss, 20-3.

In the following game against Citrus College, Alec Ortiz, somphore made three goals, one assist and one steal; Dylan Colbert and Eric Kirby added to the final score, ending the first day of the tournament.

The Warriors could not adjust and loss, 10-8.

Day two of the tournament was similar to the previous game with two losses: Southwestern 5-3 and Santa Ana 12-6.

“Missing three starters including its main goalie, the team was forced to changes and use backup goalie, Tanner Castro, who rose to the occasion,” Corey Stanbury, coach, said.

Ortiz scored three goals and Skyler Ulrich made two goals against Long Beach, ending the game with a loss, 12-6.

“With eight saves against Long Beach City College he (Castro) came up very strong with a solid number of saves,” Stanbury said.

The Warriors participated in the Saddleback tournament, its second tournament.

Solid plays against Saddleback, the Warriors efforts paid off and dominated with a win, 15-9, Castro made nine saves and one steal, and freshman Adam Rudow scored three goals and four steals.

Making it a very close game against Santa Ana the Warriors loss, 7-5, but felt this second game against them was better despite their loss.

“There were multiple opportunities to win, but we jst couldn’t convert our actions, it was a very close game, especially against Santa Ana,” Stanbury said.

Day two of the tournament against Saddleback the team dominated for a second time with 12-8, Colbert came through strong with three goals, three steals and two assists against Saddleback.

In final game of the tournament the Warriors struggled against the counter attacks of San Diego Mesa, with a loss 14-8.

The Warriors will be focusing on tightening up its counter attack to secure a win against Cerritos College on Oct. 10 at 4:15 p.m.