Men’s soccer team take down the No. 1 competition in the state

Warriors lose to referee’s decision

With little time to prepare the Warriors arrive 10 minutes before their game against Mt. SAC.

The Warriors gave Mt. SAC its first loss of the season with an impressive 1-0.

The only goal scored was on a penalty kick by Shaun Nagano, midfielder, in the 25th minute.

“We got their five minutes before the game started and we knew we had to win this game. Our coach told us to go out and leave everything on the field and have no regret,” Ozzy Rodriguez, midfielder, said.

“There was a lot of pressure going up against the No. 1 team in the state, half of the team got stuck in traffic,” Rodriguez said.

The Warriors’ intensity and energy allowed them to be able to win the game against the best men’s soccer team in the state, Mt. SAC.

“Our defense was playing lights-out and we showed a lot of heart we stayed with them (Mt. SAC),” Nolan Dean, goalkeeper, said.

Dean said he was shocked to have upset the No. 1 team in the state because they were breaking Mt. SAC’s record.

The game got physical as Mt. SAC started to become vulnerable and started forcing shots.

“Toward the end the game it got physical, and they started to become desperate,” Dean said.

Rodriguez said this was a game that the Warriors could build on and the teammates displayed its best performance and potential in the field.

“I’m very proud of the game today and it showed our potential in our team and how far we can go,” Rodriguez said.

“If we keep the intensity and really focus we can beat any team,” Rodriguez added.

Ever Moratya, assistant coach, thinks the win is great but knows the team hasn’t accomplished much.

“It’s exciting for the guys, it raises their confidence, but we haven’t won anything yet we have to keep working hard,” Morataya said.

Last Tuesday the Warriors played an away game against Pasadena College, resulting in a loss, 2-1.

Pasadena scored in the first 10 minutes of the game on a Luis Flores, forward, goal.

The Warriors tied the game and scored in the second half on a Marco Cervantes, midfielder, on a penalty kick.

Toward the end of the game Pasadena broke the tie with a blast from 18-yards out ultimately winning the game.

On Sept. 21 the Warriors hurt themselves by scoring in its own goal, which led to a 2-1 loss to Orange Coast College at Murdock Stadium.

The Warriors kept its intensity and fought back as Luis Najera, midfielder, scored an amazing goal from 30-yards out Andrew Britton, assistant coach, said.

“Its’ never a good thing to scored in our own goal, but the team responded well I told them to keep their heads up shortly after we scored a great goal,” Britton added.

“We are very solid defensively but were not the greatest at scoring goals so when we see cheap goals like that it makes things that much more difficult,” Britton said.