Warriors’ defense gets the team its first victory

The Warriors redeemed itself in a well-rounded effort against Pasadena City College in last Saturday’s game.

“We got fired up this week with this win.We got our swag back,” Ivan McLennan, linebacker, said.

The Warriors defense had 11 tackles, four sacks and six quarterback hurries that resulted in an interception by defensive back Royshaun Lewis and a forced fumble by Austin Johnson.

“We had a good game on defense, but I think our d-line had a great game,” McLennan said.

After allowing Alan Hancock to run for 293 yards last week, the Warriors held Pasadena to 93 yards on the ground.

“We basically just were group tackling. Then one player was with someone the rest of the defense came in and finished off the tackle,” McLennan said.

“We learned that everyone has to gang tackle, 11 hats on the football,” McLennan added.

Austin Johnson led the defense with three sacks, 15 tackles and 3.5 which were tackles for loss.

“We’ve got some young guys on defense who can run and fly around you,” John Featherstone, coach, said.

Early on, the defense only allowed six points to Pasadena.

Pasadena’s offense did not score its first touchdown until the fourth quarter.

“We discussed this all week. The defense gave us good field position, and it was time to reward them,” Kenneth Holmes, wide receiver, said.

“I thought Jesse (Scroggins) and Nick (King) did a nice job,” Featherstone said. “They both scrambled when they had to.”

Jesse Scroggins had 152 yards on seven of 12 pass attempts and two touchdowns.

Nicholas King had on four of seven pass attempts and a touchdown.

“It felt good. We practiced hard trying to get our timing down, right and we finally got it in the game,” Holmes said. “We had good blocking from the offensive line which gave us time to convert on those throws.”

Kenneth Holmes led the receiving core with 112 yards on three catches and two touchdowns.

The Warriors’ run game led the offense with 217 yards with 41 rushing attempts.

Terrell Dollberry had 72 yards on 11 rushing attempts including two touchdowns.

“Some of our backs have been banged up so this was the week we knew we were going to run them,” Featherstone said.

“Obviously if you can get your running game going then all your play action, screens and draws start to work,” Featherstone added.

After their stout performance against Pasadena, the Warriors will look to ride this momentum against Long Beach City College, Saturday at 6 p.m.

“The kids are fired to play another arch rival in Long Beach here at home,” Featherstone said.