Warriors take home wins in SCC Championship

The men’s and women’s track and field team looked for  wins at  the South Coast Conference Championships on April 27 at El Camino College Compton Center.

The Warriors competed in the South Coast Preliminaries on Tuesday, April 24 and the qualifying Warriors came back to on Friday to continue their winning streak.

Rukayah Bent-Mikail who won the triple jump on April 24, came back on Friday to place 3rd with a jump at 18-3 ¾.

Michelle Woodruff won the high jump at 5-6. She also remains undefeated against all JC Competition.

Katrina Wilbanks set a new EC school record for women’s pole vault with a jump of 12-0.

“Katrina has a 12-0 school-record in the pole vault and is the new Southern California leader. Not only is it a solid record, but going over 12 feet is exceptional at any college level,” Dean Lofgren, coach, said. “She has room for further improvement in the next couple of weeks.”

The women’s 400-meter relay team won in a season best 47.00.

Araya Dixon, Ronisha Vallery, Isis Garland, Ruby Dixon will place into the So Cal Preliminaries as the top speed.

Ronisha Vallery placed 2nd in the long jump at 18-4 ½.

She placed 3rd in the 400-meter at 57.85.

Brittany Householder placed 2nd in the 800-meter at 2:20.38 with teammate Courtney Morning placing 3rd at 2:20.67.  Salina Ropati placed 2nd  in shot put at 40-9 ¾.

Earlier in the tournament, Isis Garland placed 3rd in 100-meter with a time of 12.39 and returned later to place 5th in the 200-meter with a time of 25.34 in the relays.

Ruby Davis  placed 4th in the Triple Jump at 35-6.

Anthony Lewis placed 2nd in the 5, 000-meter at 15:19.83.

Alex Villaescusa  directly qualified to the So Cal Final in the 10,000-meter  and placed 6th in 5,000-meter at 15:51.15.

The men’s 400-meter relay placed 5th  with a time of 42.72.

Victor Martin  has been progressing all season.

On Friday, Martin became the 7th  all time EC performer with his shot-put winning throw of  51-10.

“I like to be alone and just focus on the throw,” Victor Martin, shot-putter, said.

Overall, the EC women placed 3rd and the EC men placed 4th  against eight competitive teams in the South Coast Conference.

The Warriors will be competing this Saturday for Southern California Regional Championship in San Diego.

“This Saturday’s Southern California Regional Championships in San Diego brings together the Top 27 in each event in Southern California for the purpose of competing head-to-head in races and field events for next Saturday’s (May 12) Final Championships” Lofgren said.” Lofgren said.