The volleyball team ends it season in first round of playoffs

After an intensely close 5 game match, the Warriors journey this season comes to an end at the first stage of the playoffs.

Both teams fought  hard, and both did well, with the Warriors in the lead for the first two games 25-23 and 25-23, and Grossmount coming back in the last three with 21-25, 22-25, and 9-15.

“They are slow starters, and I think in game three, they woke up,” Richard Blount, coach, said.

It was a close game all the way through, and though the Warriors were close, they just could not pull out the win.

“We played well, but they played better. They have gotten a lot better since the last time we played them, too,” Trevor Butler, outside hitter, said.

“We just had more errors than they did,” Blount said. “We had some chances and we didn’t take them,” he added.

“We did not play badly, the stats will show that, we played really well as a team. I think they just woke up at some point, and we played hard, but did not have an answer for that,” Hunter Hovland, outside hitter, said.

Hovland had 18 kills and 18 digs, and Butler had 17 kills and 13 digs. Kevin Burrell came in with 12 kills and 5 blocks as well.

Despite the loss so early in the playoffs, however, the team seemed very content with this season.

“It was a great run, great kids, we just had a great season,” Blount said. “They are a really tight team, they were never a problem, it was a pleasure to work with them.”

Butler noted that they finished with a 12-6 record, and 5th in state, and that was an accomplishment worth celebrating. “We had a good season. It was fun,” he said.

“I’ll look back on it as a successful season. I met a great group of guys, and I’ll take a way a lot of friends from this,” Hovland said.