Soccer team hopes for improvement

Advancing through a rough patch after losing to Victor Valley Saturday in their third 1-0 loss, the Warriors are practicing with strong encouragement from their coach John Britton, and team captain Tony Sandoval.

“The Warriors played against Victor Valley College on a two-game winning streak and came to Victor Valley College overconfident,” Britton said. “Which in turn affected their game.”

Britton said the game was “disappointing,” and that the team “should’ve won.”

There were many contributing factors to the loss of the game, including three missing key midfield players.

In addition, strong winds disrupted the game. They blew in Victor Valley’s favor for the first half when the defense failed to tighten up accordingly, while the offense failed to execute.

Victor Valley’s single goal was a long shot sent over by its goalie. The miscommunication between EC’s defense allowed the ball to bounce, giving Victor Valley’s forward the chance to take it and send it past new EC goal keeper, Cristian Jornsved.

“Despite the lost game to Victor Valley, Jornsved has had a great performance in every game and has made excellent saves every match,” Britton said.

With five returning players, including forwards Luis Paz and Sandoval, the Warriors have a young team of mostly freshmen who lack experience.

Even so, members of the team are hopeful for this season.

“We’re going to do much better then last year,” Paz said. “We have a new goalie, a good defense and a good midfield.”

The Warriors are looking to improve communication between players on the field. They know teamwork is key to success, and are still in the process of getting to know each other.

“The players are still getting a feel for each other,” Paz said. “We are still learning each other’s strengths and weaknesses.”

Britton added that teamwork is building within the players, and if they could recreate the energy of winning the 2-0 game against San Bernardino, they have a chance at being competitive in upcoming games.

“The team is starting to take shape,” Britton said.