Volleyball Issue 6

Despite great play from graduating sophomores Daniel Rodrick and Corey Palmer, the Warriors lost to Santa Monica College 2-3 on Wednesday, April 8.

The Warriors (1-9) tried to end a disappointing season on a high note and end their nine match losing streak, but Santa Monica College came back from behind to win the match, 21-30, 30-28, 30-28, 25-30, and 11-15.

It was the final match for three sophomores, setter, Rodrick, outside hitter, Palmer and libero, Sam Tejada.

The game began with the team and fans honoring the three players by announcing each of their stats, and presenting them with leis.

The Warriors responded well to the pre game festivities by winning two out of the teams first three games.

“We played really well,” Rodrick said. “We had a lot of energy and basically had nothing to lose.”

The good start by the Warriors was led by Rodrick, who finished his EC career as the school’s all time leader in sets.

The team then seemed to lose focus and dropped precious points to Santa Monica College by missing serves and allowing easy balls to fall, due to a lack of communication.

“We just weren’t talking to each other on the court and lost a lot of points because of it,” libero Craig Narr said.

Santa Monica College took advantage of the Warriors miscues by winning the last two games and finishing the match with setter Matt Atkins’ kill in game five.

“(EC) were kind of leaving me open whenever I would go up to set (the ball)”Atkins said. “I just saw my opening and nobody could get to the ball.”

The season did not go the way the Warriors hoped but the team is young and still have a lot of hope for next year.

Although the team will lose its leading setter, Rodrick, and leader in kills, Palmer, it is optimistic that its record will be better nest year.

“This season was a great learning process for us,” libero Stephen Bernabe said. “We are a pretty young team and a lot of us are going to be back next year so I think we’ll be a lot better.”

“We are only graduating three sophomores so we’re a pretty young team,” coach Dick Blount said. “Next year a lot of players are returning so we should have quite a bit of experience.”