Women prepare for conference opener with road games

Coming off a 5-2 defeat Friday against Santa Monica, the women’s soccer team recovered Monday for a 3-2 victory at home against Victor Valley.

After missing the playoffs last season, coach Jaymie Baquero is poised to get the Warriors into the playoffs this fall. The women are currently 5-2-2.

“We are on relatively the same track as last season,” Baquero said. “(We should) play well enough to make the playoffs this season.”

Bouncing back from a loss, the developing chemistry on the team is evident in the win on Monday.

With six returning players, as well as a strong core of freshmen, the depth should prove valuable to the success throughout the season.

“They gave a good performance,” coach John Britton said. “The women defended stubbornly after giving up an early goal.”

After giving up the early goal to Victor Valley, EC struck back with three goals, establishing control over the remainder of the game.

“We are ok, but we have a lot of room to improve,” freshman defenseman/forward Brenda Magana said.

“We need to play to our full potential for the entire game. We need to learn each other’s game,” Magana said.

Magana believes the women do not know each other’s games all that well yet.

Against Victor Valley, forward Sammy Mauricio saw potential for the remainder of the season.

“We connected a lot of passes, created plays that helped get more shots on the goal,” Mauricio said.

“Basically, we kept the ball on our side of the field,” Mauricio said.

Even though the women had opportunities to score earlier, they maintained their composure after allowing Victor Valley to score the opening goal.

“The team gets along well on a personal level, a lot go back to high school, (American Youth Soccer Association) and club teams,” Mauricio said.

Before the conference opener Sept. 30, the women are going to be challenged with three road games, starting with Glendale tomorrow.

After Glendale, the women will travel to Chaffey on Monday and then play at San Bernadino Valley on Tuesday.

“By the time the season starts, we should work out all the weaknesses in our game,” Mauricio said.

Baquero is optimistic about the remainder of the season and she knows the team is capable of making the playoffs if they can work as a team.

“The women are coming together as a team, making easy passes and controlling the tempo of the game,” Baquero said.

“They are playing more as a team each game, so it’s good to see,” Baqero said. “(The women) need to continue to play well on order to make the playoffs.”