Maturation of a born leader

The last time LeValley Pattison was at the state volleyball championships, she was the player leading her team to victory.

Last December, 24-years later, the women’s volleyball team won its first state championship since 1983, with Pattison on the bench, coaching.

“Both times it was exciting, but it’s just a different feeling (winning as a player and winning as a coach),” Pattison said. “You put a lot of time in coaching and you put a lot of time in playing, so it’s rewarding to get to that point because not a lot of people get to the last game in the season.”

Even in 1983, when Pattison was captain of the women’s volleyball team and the state’s most valuable player, she had aspirations of becoming a volleyball coach.

“I like being in that position. I like being a coach. I like being a leader,” Pattison said.

Charleen (Sharkey) Zartman, Pattison’s former volleyball coach, knew from the beginning that Pattison had the makings of a leader.

“She’s always been calm and level headed,” Zartman said. “People actually say we’re similar in our coaching styles.”

Before Pattison came on as the coach for the women’s volleyball team, EC went through several coaches.

“We had a lot coaches come through here after I retired and they were all really good coaches but they only stayed here for two years, so they couldn’t build a program,” Zartman said. “That’s why I was excited when Pattison became coach.”

The Manhattan Beach native has always had a love for volleyball.

“I pretty much grew up on the beach and my parents played volleyball,” Pattison said. “So I’ve always just been around the sport.”

Pattison’s parents were always supportive were always there standing behind her.

“My dad died two years ago, but before that, he played clarinet at every game,” Pattison said.

Pattison believes that being a former member of the team she coaches helps her connect with her players.

“I’ve been in their position, so I understand what they’re going through,” Pattison said. “There are a lot of coaches who have never played the game they’re coaching and are successful but that’s not me; I still play the game.”

Being on that last team that won the state championship gave Pattison hope that she too could coach a team into the finals.

“It made winning the state championship seem possible,” she said. “It took every point to get there.”