Volleyball team enters bye week

Starting slow, finishing strong and taking a day off, the women’s volleyball team is still on the top of its conference with a 10-0 record after beating Cerritos.

The team fell behind quickly and lost the first game, 30-26, but bounced back to win the next three 30-20, 30-26, 30-27, improving its conference record to 3-0.

After the win, the Warriors are heading into a bye tomorrow before they face another conference opponent, East L.A.

East L.A. will not be an easy victory; with a 7-3 record, the Warriors are not taking them lightly.

“East L.A. has improved quite a deal,” Richard Blount, assistant coach, said.

Before the team plays East L.A., it will get a day off tomorrow. The team hopes to use this break to improve, both individually and as a team.

“It will be a great chance to get the kinks out,” Blount said. “Practice is going to be brutal.”

One thing the Warriors hope to work out is the problem they have had at the beginnings of games.

“We always seem to get down by a few points at the beginning of every game,” coach Le Valley Pattison said. “That is a problem we need to address.”

The team will focus on itself this week in preparation for its next string of games.

The team will get a chance to play some much-needed home games, but the competition will not be easy.

Apart from East L.A., the Warriors will face some tough conference opponents including one of their strongest rivals, the Long Beach City Vikings.

“As long as we continue not to worry about the other team at the other side of the net and set the tone on our side, we do much better,” Pattison said. “We just need to play hard at the beginning and see what happens.”

Once again, the team had a problem in the beginning of the game last Friday, but even though it started out slow, the team came back to defeat one of its biggest

conference rivals.

“We started out a little nervous,” Pattison said.

After dropping the first game, EC went on to dominate with three wins in a row and showed off some of its skill with a 1.8 passing and a strong defense with 149 digs.

However, this game was not an easy win.

“It’s always tough to win on the road against a quality team, and we were lucky that we got the win,” Blount said.

With this win, the Warriors have solidified their lead in their conference and have improved on their perfect record.

“If we keep doing what we’re doing we’ll be OK,” Taryn Tamblyn, who had 32 digs, said.

The Warriors faced Mt. San Antonio yesterday in their final game before heading into their bye, but scores were not available at press time.