Three players leave team, season fate questionable

Not only has the women’s soccer team suffered with multiple player injuries, but the team has now lost three of its key players. This brings up the question of how the rest of the season will go.

The women are to face the L.A. Harbor Seahawks at Murdock Stadium tomorrow at 4 p.m.

The Warriors played the East L.A. Huskies last Friday and pulled off a win, 2-0, just as coach John Britton had suspected.

“The women played very well despite the fact that we have been struggling the last couple of games because of injuries,” Britton said.

With the win against East L.A., the women prepared themselves for last Tuesday’s game against the Pasadena City College Lancers.

“We knew it was going to be a hard game and we knew how they were going to play, so we worked on some things to stop them from scoring,” Britton said.

Unfortunately, that was not the case. By halftime, the Warriors were trailing 4-1.

“As soon as the game started, the women forgot how to do their jobs,” Britton said.

The highlight of the game was the 45-yard goal scored by Alexis O’Neill off of a free kick.

“It was a magnificent goal,” Britton said. “That was the bright spot to a poor first-half performance from the team.”

The Lancers defeated the Warriors, 6-1.

“Pasadena beat us early because we didn’t react as we had practiced and it cost us two early goals,” Britton said. “We played a lot better the second half once we regrouped, but by then it was too late.”

Along with the disappointing loss, the team has lost a few of its key players. Freshmen Jennifer Manjarrez and freshman Mary Boyce both experienced severe torn ligaments and will be gone for the rest of the season. In addition, star player and leading scorer, Shawna Alyea, has left for personal reasons.

“Losing Jennifer, Mary and Shawna is really going to affect the team,” Britton said. “Our squad is now greatly reduced in strength and talent.”

With a game tomorrow against Harbor College, the Warriors are hoping for a win.