Rough field and defensive errors lead to loss for soccer team

What goes up must come down, and that was precisely what the men’s soccer team experienced this past week.

After capturing two straight wins against two of the top teams in the conference, the team was out of its element against Pasadena College.

After a disheartening loss, the Warriors will try to get back on track tomorrow at Murdock Stadium, when they will host the L.A. Harbor Seahawks, who only had one loss this season, at 2 p.m.

“I really believe we will be able to rebound and win tomorrow’s game against L.A. Harbor,” forward John Massaquoi said. “We will pull off an upset.”

It will be the Warriors’ first encounter with L.A. Harbor this season. Seahawks’ forward, Julio Madrigal, is one of the state’s top scoring leaders this season.

“It is going to be a very difficult match for us. The Seahawks are one of the top teams in the state,” coach Vic Cafarchia said. “We have lost our confidence after losing to Pasadena College and we need to regain it fast because we have a big game tomorrow.”

Tuesday, the men’s soccer team traveled to Pasadena College to face the Lancers, where the team failed to stop the Landers’ offense and come up with a win.

The team was held scoreless throughout the half, 1-0. At five minutes into the second half, forward Wilfredo Flores tied the score, 1-1.

After scoring the first goal of the game, the Warriors were not able to score any more goals, which was not the case with Pasadena; the Lancers scored three straight goals, winning the game, 4-1.

“Not to make any excuses, but it had to be one of the worst fields we have ever played in,” Cafarchia said. “This team has been inconsistent this whole season, which is not a good thing, and it has being very frustrating.”

Two straight goals came after the team made a switch in the defense by moving up defender Luis Bignone to forward, which it was a costly move.

“We made so many mistakes, especially our defense, but we know we are better then that,” Massaquoi said.

Before going up to Pasadena, the team hosted East L.A. College last Friday, where the Warriors won 1-0. The only goal scored in the game came on a penalty shot from Massaquoi.