Students retain more in a semester system

For the majority of students, the semester system is undoubtly more conducive to learning.

Several universities agree.

According to an article on insidehighered.com, the University of Cincinnati,  and Ohio State University changed from a quarter system to a semester.

California State University Los Angeles wants to make the switch from quarter to semester system. The university’s joint senate of deans, students and faculty voted to recommend a switch to semester, and the campus president approved it according to an article on insidehighered.com.

These universities saw the need to convert to the semester system as they saw the advantages outweigh the quarter system.

The quarter system  is 10 weeks plus one week of finals, a fast-paced educational materials and evaluation. The semester system is 16 weeks of educational instructions and evaluation.

Semesters allow courses to contain a more in-depth look at subject material that gives students the opportunity to develop better understanding of the courses and gives them sufficient time to focus on their work.

According to an a article on fox19.com, an associated design professor, Bridget O’Kane, at the University of Cincinnati, said that adopting the semester system gave it’s students equal time to hone their craft like that of their competitors.
Under this system, the students were not only allowed enough time to read and study their materials, but professors to gauge the efficacy of their teaching method as well as the level of students’ learning in a given class.

According to xatal.com, the length of a semester gives students more time to make up class work and get the hang of things, plus if students like to procrastinate, the amount of time makes it easier.
Although the quarter system is said to allow students to take more classes. The semester system makes sure that the education the students are getting is well explained and well understood.

At the end of the day, it’s a matter of quality over quantity. It’s how well the student retains the information.