Tropical garden blooms at the Art Gallery

ster, “Tropical Planet,” is a collection of paintings, collages, digital prints, and furniture that appear to focus on images of bodies of water, trees and various types of flowers.

On display are artworks of two former faculty members, David and Deborah Patterson, a husband and wife duo who decided to share a part of their lives through their artwork. The exhibit is scheduled to take place at the Art Gallery from Aug. 28 – Sept. 20.

“It’s representative of the joy and the happiness in our lives and the spirit of life,” Deborah Patterson said.

Her artwork shares what appears to be digitally-enchanced photos while her husband, David Patterson, shares other works including paintings and collages.

The couple agreed that one of the themes of the show is the use of bright color and lush, natural imagery to suggest the uplifting nature of life, a theme tied closely into the Pattersons’ personal lives.

“We have a large garden, we use strong color in our house, it’s an integration,” David Patterson said.

Deborah Patterson’s pieces involve what appear to be artfully reconstructed photographs of significant locations to both herself and her husband.

For example, in the giclee paint on paper piece, “Moonlight Reflections,” the hibiscus photograph was taken at a waterfall in Hawaii.

In turn, David Patterson’s work features a variety of bright paints and plant-like textures, which he said is meant to tell his self-composed story of a fertile, vibrant Egyptian paradise along the Nile, occupied by characters Adam and Ava.

One of the art pieces that may tell the story of Adam and Ava is “The Serpent and the Giza Platau.” In this painting, the serpent represents the Nile river which David said represented an oasis.

David Patterson said Adam and Ava are two characters from a fictional story that he is writing during his spare time.

He said these two characters were inspired by the Biblical story of Adam and Eve.

Although the story may not have a title and may not be published, the story may be told through the artwork in the exhibit.

Together with these art works, the show also features hand-made furniture from the Pattersons’ home, including the Baltic Birch wood “Spice Cabinet.”

“I made ‘Spice Cabinet’ for my wife because she loves to cook,” David Patterson said. “She puts her actual spices in there.”

Other works include multiple Baltic Birch and plywood “Hope Chest” pieces.

“I was opposed to the idea of using our furniture at first, but seeing it alongside our art makes it look so much more impressive,” David Patterson said.

In addition to the furnishings, certain walls of the gallery have been given a colorful coat of paint, a decision on the part of Susanna Meiers, Art Gallery curator.

“The walls help to bring out the color,” Meiers said, “I’m very pleased with how it’s all turned out.”

Meiers requested that the Pattersons put together the show due to the couple’s history with El Camino.

David Patterson was an instructor in the arts department and Deborah Patterson was a teacher of digital media.

Both artists are now retired, though they first met one another at the college.

Meiers said this is one of the reasons why the show “is a kind of insight into who they are.”

Although the show has only been open for what seems like a short time, there have been “very positive reactions so far.”

“I come in to see what’s new. It’s really interesting and vibrant,” Cory Schreider, 21, photography major, said.