Cultural weddings offer influence to American celebrations

Months of sketching and picking out silk fabric, searching through countless crochet patterns and flipping pages in fashion magazines all came to fruition on March 17, when my aunt tied the knot to her Italian lover.

I flew into Lima, Peru for the occasion. It’s one of the most celebrated ceremonies for Peruvians, full of dancing and multiple dishes and drinks to choose from.

The amount of detail my aunt and uncle put into the wedding at a privately-owned ranch made it a memorable one. There were bleached muslin cloths wrapped around the tent, floral vines and cream rose pedals scattered on the tables.

Most weddings today aren’t as creative. It’s always the same boring flowers, the same cookie-cutter wedding cake and the same droning music.

When you’re celebrating such an important moment of your life, one that will (hopefully) only happen once, shouldn’t it be tailor-made for you?

My aunt’s wedding was full of personal touches that made the experience an embodiment of her.

I was glad to be part of a traditional ‘happy hour’ celebration during my aunt’s wedding, where two Peruvian guests dressed in Inca outfits came out on the dance floor and introduced cultural and thrilling music and dances.

I have attended weddings where I met fresh faces and socialized most of the time. But that’s it! Most American weddings lack the cultural and personal experience of the Peruvian wedding I attended.

American weddings are very predictable. The bride’s wedding gown will be white with a long train as she walks the traditional aisle with her bouquet of roses. There will be the tossing of the bouqet and garter. And finally ending the night with the same “party” songs that have been playing at gatherings since the ‘70s. How many times have you been forced to dance to “Y.M.C.A.” at a wedding? Too many times.

America is a melting pot  of cultures, but unfortunately that often means that cultural traditions are abandoned in favor of more “American” options.

Next time you are at a wedding, think about the traditions and culture behind it. Attend