Column: Transferring students can’t lose focus before the semester ends

College acceptance letters are starting to roll in, but I can’t celebrate yet!

Transfer students, we still need to tough it out this semester. I know many of you are on the edge of your seat waiting to hear back from your top college choices. Well, remember last fall? It was the worst, at least for me.

Last semester wasn’t just about maintaining the grades, but spending hours behind a computer filling out college applications and trying to perfect a personal statement.

I stressed, cried and even starved from all that time and effort we put into achieving our goals.

This semester, I seem to be lagging in every course I am taking. Over spring break, I was relaxing, listening to music, sleeping in and going on adventures instead of studying for my academic classes.

I know some students spent their entire spring break cramming and studying for an upcoming midterm. That’s how my spring breaks were and I am sure I will experience many more of those brutal breaks once I transfer.

I remember sitting behind a desk all day, reading page after page, filling out flashcards and highlighting key words, or editing tedious papers during my spring break.

As much as I wanted to give up, I didn’t.

I knew I couldn’t waste the opportunity of being the first-generation of my family to go to college. Getting accepted to six out of the eight universities I applied to so far is an accomplishment, especially with the education crisis going on today.

Don’t lose your focus now. The end is near, but classes still count.

It’s easy to want to turn your back on EC and set your sights on a bright future at a university, but remember that your time at EC gave you the opportunity to get where you are now.

Remember all that hard work, and don’t let it slip away!

Transfer students have their own brand of “senioritis” that we all remember from high school, but the cure is focus.

Spring break is over EC students. Sooner or later, June will be here and many transfer students, like myself, will be ready to graduate and attend a university. Good luck to all of you and hang in there!