Column: Women’s History Month

I am not a genius in math, nor will I ever be, since I spend my time writing in the newsroom and slowly counting change back to customers at work. The days I walk past the Math and Computer Science Building, I wonder why female students major in math, science or technology.

A colleague I met this year in student government spoke to me about the universities she applied to and how nervous she was to find out which universities accepted her. She mentioned the career goals she hoped to achieve that had me wondering.

There is a pervasive stereotype in our culture that men are better at math than women. This extends into science and technology, all of which are heavily male-dominated.

Despite the advances in gender equality, this bias remains. Women are just as capable, but the fields of math and science remain a boy’s club. However, women have made great strides in crossing into these fields and shattering the glass ceiling that has challenged women for centuries.

There are women currently majoring in math, science and technology who work in male-dominated professions. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, in recent years more women have achieved high levels of education and salary increases as a result.

According to the most recent El Camino demographics, 53.6 percent of students on campus are female. Once, women were not allowed to pursue any kind of education. Now, they make up the majority of the student body.

Women now have the right to vote, to receive an education and to work as government officials, proving how far our culture has come. Celebrating Women’s History Month is a chance for us to see the history of women’s achievements and contributions that have paved the way for modern civil rights movements

Let’s take this time to honor those influential and powerful women who have made a difference in our lives.

If it weren’t for these powerful women who continue to seek male-dominated professions, modern women wouldn’t be as inclined to seek majors and professions related to math, science and technology.