Is Halloween just an excuse to dress provocatively? No

Breathing heavily because the scariest zombie costume she chose is far too hot and tiring to walk in, she notices that her friend is only wearing caution tape for an outfit. Apparently, she didn’t get the memo and she feels left out in a zombie costume on Halloween. This is exactly why Halloween isn’t just an excuse to dress provocatively. Halloween is about children having fun,collecting candy and dressing up as there favorite superhero.

Not about showing their body off. According to a study by the American Psychological Association, findings have indicated that women more often than men are portrayed in a sexual manner dressed in revealing clothing, and are objectified as body parts rather than a whole person. In addition, there are many guys in thongs, girls in just caution tape, tree branches and feathers. Can anyone really keep a straight face on when looking at them? And apparently it’s okay for kids because in stores like Target or any other Halloween shop many of the kid’s costumes now are inappropriate too, specifically the girls.

Now what five-year-old should be wearing fishnets and a mini skirt? If some girls are not the type who wears skimpy clothing on a regular basis, then wearing it on Halloween shouldn’t be an excuse either. People shouldn’t be concentrating so much on what their going to wear or how much skin they should reveal. It will ruin their Halloween experience.

What happened to the regular costumes like ghost, goblins, witches, zombies and the list goes on? How is a sexy hot nurse, tight leather cat girl, or muscular Greek guy at all even scary? People are beginning to confuse children and they will soon forget the true meaning of Halloween. No one wants to hear their child ask their parents why men and women are dressing up so provocative.

“Look mommy, she’s a baseball player but why does she have a skirt on? Don’t they wear tights?” The mom answered, “She’s a sexy baseball player.” A child shouldn’t even know what sexy is. So next year when people see that very sexy, skin tight, extra revealing costume in the window, think about the message they will be sending to teens, children or even someone younger who looks up to them.