Is the world safer with bin Laden’s death? Yes

Time to breathe a sigh of relief!

The dark shadow of Osama bin Laden’s tyranny has finally been lifted, making the world a safer place.

Once an ally to the U.S. during the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in 1979, bin Laden gave into his radical beliefs and took the lives of thousands of innocent civilians in his war against the west.

For almost 10 years, the fear of his existence spread around the world and has now come to an end.

The streets of New York City quickly filled with people celebrating on Sunday night as President Barack Obama told the nation about bin Laden’s death.

While it may be odd to celebrate the death of a man, today, this freedom fighter has few sympathizers.

And although this victory against bin Laden does not mean terrorism will cease to exist, it does however mean that there is one less mind working against the common good.

Responsible for almost 3,000 civilian deaths as a result of the 9/11 attacks alone, bin Laden ruined thousands of families and permanently scarred their lives.

This also means that one of the biggest terrorist organizations, al-Qaida, has come crashing to its knees with the loss of its leader and founder.

Even though, the group will eventually find a new leader and there is some fear of retaliation from his supporters, we are safer because we are prepared for it.

Along with airports, security detail is being hiked up in places that previously may not have required a lot of protection such as the upcoming Lakers playoff game.

According to an article from the L.A. Times the Los Angeles Police Department “plans to beef up police patrols at potential terrorism targets – such as Staples Center during upcoming Lakers playoff games – in the wake of the death of 9/11 mastermind Osama bin Laden.”

Bin Laden’s death not only united the country, but also served as an example to all the budding terrorists out there who believe they can get away with the murder of innocent civilians.

In a speech at the White House during a Medal of Honor ceremony, President Barrack Obama said, “Our country has kept its commitment to see that justice is done. The world is safer.”

While there are several unanswered questions that may trivialize this victory, the U.S. government’s commitment to justice and persistence in its war against terrorism makes the world a safer place.