Should marijuana be legalized and taxed?

Proposition 19, a measure full of ambiguities and vagueness, will most likely create a scene of chaos and a state of stoners.
California should contemplate whether legalizing marijuana for personal use is really the best route.
Sure, our state has always been known as the “pioneer state,” going above and beyond expectations, but passing Proposition 19 just seems crazy and not well thought out.
The measure would allow Californians 21 and older to possess up to an ounce of marijuana and grow marijuana on up to 25 square feet of private property.
Supporters say it would control and tax marijuana, but it would do neither.
Everything sounds hunky-dory, but it’s not.
A lot of the supposed positive aspects of the bill haven’t even been written into the measure.
For example, the famous theory that, legalization would generate an enormous monetary bonus for the state and for local governments.
According to a recent article in the Los Angeles Times, legalizing marijuana will lead to a taxing of $14 billion in annual sales and create thousands of jobs for California’s struggling economy.
Nowhere in the measure is there a detailed tax proposal. The issue of taxing is exclusively up to legislature and local governments.
Not only are there loopholes in the measure, there are negative social effects on California residents as well.
Marijuana has always had the reputation of being the “gateway drug,” and by legalizing it, the reputation is going to expand. Are we telling our children that it’s fine and perfectly natural to smoke and ingest marijuana? Just look at the impact cigarettes and alcohol have on our society. Nothing good comes from these kinds of legal substances.
Legalizing marijuana will also put a damper on the pharmaceutical industry.
In this day and age, the ill are always looking for something new.
There is no doubt that these people will turn to marijuana.
Those working in the pharmaceutical industry will ultimately lose their jobs from lack of business and support.
To be realistic, who is actually going to vote Nov. 2?
According to the state, more than 400,000 Californians use marijuana daily. It’s highly unlikely that they’ll even make it to the polls anyway. They would much rather sit on their couch and play World of Warcraft with a joint in their mouths.