Transferring becomes easier

According to State Senate Bill 1440, or the Student Transfer Achievement Reform Act, community college students may soon be walking on a brand new paved road to a California State University.
Those stressful days of wondering about your educational future could be over my friends. A lot of planning has been put into effect over the summer and with elections slowly creeping up in November, we may see huge changes real soon.
It was Sen. Alex Padilla, D-Pacoima, who authored the bill and took it to The Assembly Higher Education Committee in Sacramento this past June. Luckily, both California Community Colleges Chancellor Jack Scott and California State University Chancellor Charles Reed support Padilla’s plan. And so the process continues.
Now we play the waiting game as the bill patiently waits on the governor’s desk.
You’re probably wondering what the bill does, right?
According to a press release from the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office, Scott stated, “this bill will ease transfer for community college students who want to continue their educational goals at a four year college.” Finally there is some good news!
Of course, there are specific requirements that students must meet. I mean, you had to have known there would be rules and regulations.
You will be guaranteed admittance to the California State University system at junior status if and when you complete an associate degree. Also a 2.0 GPA or better is required as well. How easy does that sound?
So with that said, our future is looking pretty bright.
Scott and Reed think the same in terms of cost savings. If the bill is in fact enacted, “the initiative will increase efficiency and generate approximately $160 million annually in cost savings.”
No more taking unneeded classes. No more
spending excess money. In a situation like this, everyone is a winner.
Now, if you do decide to attend a CSU, you must take precautions when figuring out which university you apply to and what you want to major in.
The reason can easily be overlooked. For example, students applying to California State University at Long Beach (CSULB) and wanting to major in business might come across some problems. Business is one of the many impacted majors at CSULB, so chances are it may take longer than expected to graduate with a bachelor’s degree due to limited class sizes.
Cross your fingers everyone and good luck!