Yes: Is offshore drilling a good idea?

As the U.S. keeps wasting billions of dollars importing oil from some of the most unstable parts of the world, one has to wonder when enough is enough. The government should look to alternative ways of quenching America’s thirst for energy. Granted there are better alternatives out there than drilling. But as far as a plausible, implemental short-term plan for generating energy, one need not look any further then the current state of our oil reserves.
In the early 90s, President George H. W. Bush, responding to state pressure, signed a presidential directive banning offshore drilling everywhere except Texas, Louisiana, Alabama and parts of Alaska. If domestic oil drilling companies were allowed to drill in other areas of the country that are known to have oil reserves, we would benefit. In a time where everything from the cars we drive to the clothes on our backs are imported from other countries, we could at least take pride that we are pumping our own crude.
The Department of the Interior has estimated that approximately 69 billion barrels lie untapped, in easily accessible areas in Alaska and the gulf regions. If America’s wells were utilized, we would see an increase in our contribution to the global markets and an eventual lowering of gas prices.
Until energy companies have an epiphany and somehow realize that they should be investing in cheap and efficient ways to harness natural resources other than oil, let’s face it- we don’t have many options.
Realistic and more creative ideas to fulfill America’s vast energy needs are few and far between. Until the energy revolution takes place, we should stick to what’s cheap or free. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
Either way, Bush’s presidential directive expires in 2012 and this issue will again be forced to the forefront of debate.
Judging by the recent events surrounding the Deepwater Horizon tragedy that occurred earlier this year and the devastating effect it had and continues to have on the ecosystem in the Gulf region, many will be closed to the idea of drilling.
But one must know the Deepwater Horizon tragedy, like the Exxon Valdez oil spill before it, presented evidence pointing to human error as the cause.
Let’s face it, realistic and more creative ideas to fulfill America’s energy needs are few and far between and until then, it becomes a question of human knowledge and caution when offshore drilling is concerned.