Music videos still cause judgments

Disorderly conduct is a class C misdemeanor punishable with up to a $500 fine. This was the punishment that recording artist Erykah Badu recently received when she walked through Dallas naked for her latest music video “Window Seat.”
Music videos are primarily made and used as a marketing device intended to promote music sales. They are created by a team and ideas are approved by many individuals before any filming begins.
The first music video to be banned was Queen’s 1982 hit, “Body Language.” According to MTV, they banned it due to its “homoerotic undertones, plus lots of skin and lots of sweat.”
Since “Body Language,” several networks have banned countless other videos due to their offensive or inappropriate content. As time passes, many of these inappropriate scenes will become socially acceptable, though some will always cause controversy.
Originally music videos like Pearl Jam’s “Jeremy” and Prodigy’s “Smack My ***** Up,” caused the world to stop, pay attention and feel something over the content of the video.
Although Badu caused a commotion through her video, it was discussed more in the media for her nudity, rather than for the content and the message of the video and song.
In the video, Badu strips while walking through Dealey Plaza, the spot of Kennedy’s 1963 assassination. In the last seconds of the video, she is shot in the head and collapses naked.
“My point was grossly misunderstood all over America. JFK is one of my heroes, one of the nation’s heroes,” Badu said. “John F. Kennedy was a revolutionary; he was not afraid to butt heads with America and I was not afraid to show America my butt-naked truth.”
No matter what it is that you take from it, it’s getting people thinking and talking.
Music videos like Badu’s and MIA’s “Born Free” are examples of videos that are starting this dialogue.
The music video for “Born Free” shows conceptualized genocide. MIA is a native of Sri Lanka and understands what genocide and war look like. People watching the video from their TV or laptop who have never experienced such a tragedy should not pass judgment on someone else’s reality.
As an artist, she has the liberty to express herself and create whatever metaphors for government’s brutal treatment of their minorities all over the world.
Parents might be outraged by the videos graphic nature, but at least it’s getting their children thinking and opening their minds to the rest of the world. Parents should be more concerned over Miley Cyrus’ new video “Can’t Be Tamed,” where she is dressed raunchy and pole dancing.
If a ‘tween is scanning through YouTube and runs into “Born Free” that is one more person who just might get inspired to look up the word ‘genocide.’ There is nothing wrong with someone opening their mind to places and issues that are far greater then the on-goings of the South Bay.