Hollywood landmark still standing

Founder of Playboy Enterprise, Hugh Hefner has once again come to the rescue in saving the historic Hollywood sign that will now be a part of the largest municipal park in the United States, Griffith Park.
Originally having been named Hollywoodland in 1923, the 138 acres of land the sign resides on was put on the market by its Chicago investors in 2008 for $22 million.
Now, two years later, Tiffany and Co. Foundation, Aileen Getty and Hefner played an important role in donating funds to save the landmark.
Tiffany and Company gave a $1 million grant to the national non-profit organization, Trust for Public Land (TPL) and Aileen Getty matched the funds.
Hefner stepped in and donated $900,000 and Getty and Tiffany and Co. both matched an additional $500,000.
In order to meet the $12.5 million needed for the TPL to save the remarkable sign, several other Hollywood leaders helped with a donation.
The Hollywood sign is an aspect of the allure, thrill and bright lights everyone around the world portrays Hollywood to be.
Although the Hollywood sign is a tourist attraction that people associate California, fame and fortune with, it seems ridiculous to spend $12.5 million on a piece of land when the state is in a budget crisis.
Millions of dollars could be spent on schools that shape the people of the future, creating more jobs for the thousands unemployed or even just fixing damaged streets.
An example of how the budget may not be on a lot of people’s minds because in an effort to save the authentic sign, local residents held bake sales, rallies and concerts on the Sunset strip.
If people had this same mind frame when it came to raising money desperately needed in California, we would not have to constantly worry about conserving water or finding a new and cheaper place to live.
The sign is a memorable location, but if Hugh Hefner has the money to donate to a piece of land, he should donate to the large chunk of land he lives on called California.
Aside from money that could be spent restoring the state, millions of dollars could be spent creating more public transportation, making the state more energy efficient or even giving donations to people who actually need them.
The Hollywood sign is something everyone knows but does it contribute to stopping pollution, preventing the ozone layer from deteriorating or saving wildlife?
Without hesitation, the answer is no. This $12.5 million dollar landmark plays no important role in everyday life.
While others have different priorities on their mind, thousands are preoccupied with the saving of a sight that is historic, yet not vital to Los Angeles living.