No: Ban on Gun Laws

No: Ban on Gun Laws

Annastashia Goolsby

Hearing the floorboards creak, trees scratching against the window and a cat screeching can scare the pants off of an individual home alone. Thanks to the fourth president of the United States, James Madison, citizens have the right to keep and bear arms.

This means that individuals can store a rifle or shotgun in the privacy of their own home and only use it for means of protection. Handguns are illegal unless one has a permit or license to do so.

Every state varies on firearm laws, but Illinois and Wisconsin are two that stand out in particular. Having a permit and the storing of guns is completely illegal in both states.

Recently, the U.S. Supreme Court has been fighting against arguments received on the ban of guns.

For every 100,000 people in the U.S. there are 14.24 gun related deaths. Whether the deaths are accidental, suicidal or homicidal, the gun is still contributing to the death of a human being.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the United States has a population of 308,829,407 and it is very unlikely that everybody is well trained in the knowledge of guns.

This leaves the undecided question, should gun restrictions not be wound so tightly?

Carrying a gun around as an accessory was outlawed because of the potential harm it can cause.

If a gun was put down on a kitchen table and left unsupervised, like many women do with their purse, the gun is easily accessible for young, curious children. The child’s curiosity could be cut shortened with one quick bang.

As for teenagers, too many acts are committed due to peer pressure. Imagine if a gun were in the mix-up. A dare could turn into a death.

There is a reason guns have severe laws that date back to the creation of the Bill of Rights in 1789. Unless there is world peace, there will always be a predicament somewhere in the U.S.

Some complications already lead to physical fights that can end in injuries. Once again, imagine a gun in the fight. It would resolve the fight but open a court case against the murderer.

The first historical use of a gun was in the year 1247 for the protection of one’s self in battle. The making and usage of guns over the nearly 1,000 years has greatly changed.

Guns are not viewed or used as they used to. Many people are afraid of guns, while others take it for advantage and use it for their own convenience, such as robbing a liquor store.

Maybe once the 300 million occupants in the United States resemble “Pleasantville,” gun laws can be more lenient. Until then, it is wise to keep guns locked in the closet incase of a dire emergency.