Campus Forum

Shaneka Edwards is the president for Engage, a Christian club on campus.

What is your job as president of Engage?
I lead all group discussions and prayer. I organize how each meeting will go. We always start and end with a prayer.

Who started the club?
Our pastor, Jonathon Hemphill, started the club back in spring 2009. He used to come and pray with some students and so he decided to make a club at EC.

What do you do at the meetings and when are they held?
We have group discussions where students talk about a certain topic or subject and they speak their minds. We also have a time of prayer and organize events. The meetings are held on Thursdays at 1-1:50 p.m. in Room 311 in the Humanities Building.

What kinds of events are organized?
In May, we are going to have a talent show. Anyone can participate and show off whatever talent they have. They don’t need to be Christian. Other events include feeding the homeless and visiting children in hospitals.

Engage is a Christian club. Do you have to be Christian in order to join?
Absolutely not. Anyone can come and join us. They don’t have to be a certain religion; they don’t even have to have a religion.

How many people are in the club right now?
We have six continuous members, but people who don’t come every Thursday drop in and stay to listen.

Engage used to be called Ignite. Why the change of name?
Well, Ignite was under our other church. We used to go to another church, but now we are in a new church. Engage now represents the church we are in.

There are other Christian clubs on campus. What separates Engage from the others?
We just want this club to be a place where students can come and feel comfortable; here we can listen to their problems. We won’t judge anyone. At the same time, we also want to incorporate Christianity into the students’ everyday lives; after all this is a Christian club.