Censoring costumes is unjust

As the end of October looms, one can expect the usual Halloween festivities, which so often are filled with head turning costumes.
Many of these costumes contest the boundaries of what is deemed appropriate or not.
The costume package that is making headlines this year comes with an orange jumpsuit with “illegal alien” across the chest, a space alien mask, a fake green card, a handlebar mustache and a baseball cap.
The Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles began to receive numerous amounts of emails from people who opposed this costume and wanted it off retailer’s shelves.
Halloween has always been a time for satirical costumes from presidents to celebrities. This year should be filled with President Barack Obama costumes, former Alaskan Gov. Sarah Palin costumes and Michael Jackson costumes.
Halloween is a time when people poke fun at people through the way they dress. Once there is an exception made, then there will be a snowball effect to where satirical costumes won’t be allowed.
The same goes for books and language in this world. Once there is a word or a book banned slowly, but surely more and more will start to be banned because someone doesn’t like it because it offends them.
The United States of America is what it is because of freedom. It is the freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the press and freedom to express yourself. Why change that now?
This costume is a news story because of the fact that people don’t agree on the matter and that right now America is having a problem with illegal aliens.
In LA, there is a huge demographic of illegal aliens and legal citizens.
Target has already taken the costume off its shelves and other retailers might soon follow.
William Gheen, the president of American for Legal Immigration, said he intends to buy the costume.
“The only people getting upset are the hyper-sensitive, over-politically correct, pro-amnesty, illegal alien-supporting nuts, said Gheen. “You can’t attack people’s freedom in this country.”
It comes down to human rights and freedom and there will always be a thin, red line between them.
Taking the costume not only hurts the economy by having retailers lose money by taking the costume off the shelves it also hurts an individuals rights to have a choice.