Marge Simpson takes it off for ratings

In the November issue of Playboy Magazine, one won’t find gratuitous amounts of flesh, at least in the literal sense. Instead, readers, or viewers rather, will have their eyes graced by the yellow body of Marge Simpson, cartoon TV icon.
The issue is commemorating the 20th anniversary of “The Simpsons,” which is a testament to how popular creator Matt Groening’s show is.
Now Hugh Hefner is looking to capitalize on that popularity. While Playboy has always been viewed as the classiest adult men’s magazine, this move by Hefner is sure to draw in plenty of attention from other demographics.
The move, while smart in business terms, is not what Playboy is meant for. “The Simpsons,” while celebrating its 20th anniversary, has been primarily a show viewed by those in the ‘tween’ demographic, those between the ages of 12 and 17.
While the Simpsons are sure to have maintained an older viewership as well, this inclusion of Marge Simpson in Playboy is surely not going by unnoticed by the younger viewers. Herein is the problem, or controversy; those who already struggle with letting their children watch the semi-obscene show will now have an issue with Groening, allowing one of his creations to grace the cover of the scandalous magazine.
While things could be worse, and Mrs. Simpson could have ended up on the cover of a more explicit magazine, such as Hustler, Groening still may have a lasting impact on his viewership, as mothers will spread word of Marge Simpson’s indecent act.
The pictorial, “photographed” by her husband Homer Simpson, is by no means an explicit or vulgar piece. Playboy has been noted for its tasteful pictorials as opposed to other magazines in the same industry and Groening has followed suit.
The appearance of one of TV’s most well-known mothers, even if she is a cartoon, makes one ask why?
The simple reason is that “The Simpsons” and their producers know that the end of times is near.
A show that has lasted through the ages is now needing publicity stunts to survive. The pictorial is an attempt to create a buzz about the show, so as to make people watch, when in fact it will turn more of its original viewers away from the television.
Playboy Magazine is a men’s magazine and “The Simpsons” is a borderline family comedy. It is ridiculous to think that the original viewership will see this in a positive light.
The bottom line is that the program will soon see its ratings drop.