Pink ribbons save many lives

Every October is flooded with pink ribbons, walks and donations to various charity foundations in hopes of increasing awareness for breast cancer. These organizations also let women know that they shouldn’t wait to see a doctor to check for signs but to check for oneself monthly.
Monthly breast self-examinations are vital for breast cancer awareness. Breast cancer is the second most common type of cancer which is right after the deadliest cancer of them all, lung cancer.
Most people hear the term breast cancer, but are not sure what that exactly means. Breast Cancer refers to a malignant tumor that has developed from cells in the breast according to breastcancer.org.
That’s why it is recommended that individuals check themselves regularly in order to find any hard tissue build up, lumps, in their breast.
Many organizations have been taking donations to help fight this disease by promoting the pink ribbon logo on many products such as yogurts, stickers, bracelets, etc.
Men should be more aware of breast cancer since it is a disease that affects them as well.
Most people think that breast cancer can only occur within women, but that’s not true.
About 1,990 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed in men in 2008. Less than 1 percent of all new breast cancer cases occur in men according to breastcancer.org.
There are 1.3 million new cases of breast cancer annually according to imaginis.com and those women diagnosed with breast cancer are fighting to keep their breast.
Fundraisers for breast cancer help people become more aware of the severity of the disease as well as how likely someone could be affected by it. Whether it is yourself, a family member, friend or just about any one you love this disease has an impact on many lives.
The Avon Walk for Breast Cancer fundraiser is a two-day walk that will have people traveling 39 miles to help raise money in order to support men and women for breast cancer screening, treatment and by helping research teams find a cure.
Stay aware by having mammograms which are basically an X-ray of the breast that helps doctors look and detect for early stages of breast cancer and other changes.
“If you know that breast cancer runs through your family, you should get yourself checked every year,” Lettiecia Boyd, liberal arts major, 22, said. “Breast cancer runs in my family, so I make sure to get myself checked every year as well as checking myself regularly.”