Save a class with cash

While the state budget is starting to crash, the California Community Colleges System is going down with it.

City College of San Francisco (CCSF) is one of many community colleges that will be forced to cut a majority of classes in the course of the next year.

Without help from the state, CCSF has no choice but to minimize their courses.

CCSF announced that it will be cutting back 800 classes which has an estimated cost of $5 million. The classes consist of 300 fall semester classes and 500 spring semester classes.

In an attempt to salvage the eliminated classes, CCSF is offering the opportunity to sponsor a class as a private donor.

The cost is $6,000, the same rate it would cost to pay a faculty member to teach a one-semester course. So far, 8-10 potential sponsors have shown interest.

The toll this is taking on California, home to the largest community college system in the country, is huge.

Students worry because these budget cuts are causing hundreds of students to be restricted from enrolling for coming semesters due to the reduction of class space.

For most people, school is the only option aside from working, and without it people don’t have the support or the resources they so desperately need.

With education cuts and the rise in unemployment, what is there to look forward to?

We need to stick together as a state and try to help each other out by at least writing our congressmen and congresswomen to show our concern.

California lawmakers announced a $630 million cut to the entire California Community Colleges system to be conducted over the next couple of years.

Students need to voice their concerns or things won’t get better. We can’t sit around and wait for things get worse.

Students and teachers need to take a stand because our jobs and our right to a decent education are at stake. We need to remind ourselves that not only are the students and teachers affected by this, but also their families as well.