Yes: It’s not their fault we look up to them as role models

In today’s media, it’s common to see random celebrities in the news for all sorts of positive as well as negative behavior, and it’s more than just a minor part of the media.

Although it’s entertaining to watch these programs and see what goes on in a day in the life of a celebrity, it’s common knowledge that the lives that celebrity’s lead are far from everyday reality. It’s unrealistic to use celebrities as serious role models to live by. It’s not their fault we look to them as role models, it’s ours!

It’s just as unrealistic to try and prove that the entire public doesn’t view celebrities as purely entertainment. It’s obvious that a healthy portion actually copy what they see on TV, regardless of the whether the effect it has is good or bad.

People seem to forget that celebrities are human just like the rest of us, and like all humans, celebrities are just as capable of making bad judgments. Just because a celebrity chooses to live their life in the spotlight doesn’t mean that the viewing public should mimic every move they make. It’s up to us individually to distinguish whether the behavior of others is or isn’t going to be detrimental to our wellbeing.

Those of us who can distinguish between what’s reality and reality TV understand that the consequences of someone’s actions, regardless of whether they are in the spotlight or not, will not always translate to the same result if the average Joe Schmoe decided to try the same.

We as individuals have to analyze the decisions that celebrities choose to make, whether right or wrong. If Robert Downey Jr. decides to relapse on drugs, then that’s his problem. On the other hand, if Robert Downey Jr. wants to donate time, money and effort to increase the awareness of drunken driving, then I’m not going to ignore what he has to say just because of his celebrity status.

Downey’s decisions, or any other celebrity decisions for that matter, do not make up the moral fabric of our society. It’s the perception of his actions that determines what we believe to be right or wrong. It’s unfair to believe that a celebrity’s negative influence automatically translates into negative behavior.

If anything, the public should benefit from not just the good choices that celebrities make, but the bad ones also. It’s called “learning from someone else’s mistake.”

The role models we choose are based on our own moral principles, not the celebrity’s, so when choosing a role model, remember to use common sense when not only choosing correct role models, but also when applying their examples to our lives.