Fear of change is big issue in gay marriage

Marriage has never been so complicated.

People are now making decisions for others on who should be married when people really should be deciding for themselves who they should marry.

Banning gay marriage has caught the attention of many California residents and has continued to stir controversy.

A re-vote should have taken place to substantiate the grounds in which Proposition 8 passed during the November election. The proposition passed by a two percent margin. Such a close election should not have passed that easily.

This issue is so controversial that the state itself is debating whether or not to retract it.

As of now, the State Supreme Court is taking the proposition into consideration leaving all of California to sit in the waiting room and hope for the best.

This proposition has received nationwide attention.

The ad “What if you couldn’t marry the one you love?” by letCaliforniaring.org, delivers a message of unfair treatment by portraying a woman being held back by a series of unfortunate obstacles, keeping her from marrying the one she loves.

Gay couples and half of the state agree that it is their time to wed and it’s about time California realizes this.

Gender should not affect the grounds on which marriage is based. Marriage is known to be the union between a man and a woman. However, marriage is ultimately the union of two individuals who would like to build a life, a family and a home together. However, people have never known anything different and that is why they are afraid of change.

Gay couples have the same values as any traditional couple. This is exactly why they should have the right to marry.

In the U.S. Declaration of Independence, it states that “all men are created equal.” Gay people are people, just those with a different view on who they love. Everyone was born with the same rights; it makes no difference what sexual orientation they have.

The two percent discrepancy that allowed California to ban gay marriage was voted out of fear of breaking tradition. Those who voted for Proposition 8 to pass, were voting because of their political ideologies and religious backgrounds.

Divorce rates are at 36 percent in the U.S. as of 2008. Many people are ending their marriages due to unhappiness. Since people who are unhappy are divorcing, gay marriage should be legalized because they want to get married and be happy.

Rights discrimination based on sexual orientation is the same as discriminating against those of color. It was wrong then and it’s wrong now. We made the mistake of discriminating against African Americans because they were a different color. Now, gay people are being discriminated against because the people they choose to love breaks tradition.

People come to America to find freedom and to pursue their own personal beliefs. America is known as “the land of the free,” and by telling gay couples that they cannot wed only contradicts the foundation on which this country was founded. Everyone deserves to have their happily ever after.