Campus Forum

When does the MSA meet?
We meet every first and third Thursday of every month from 1 to 2 pm in the humanities building, room 307.

What is the Muslim Student Association?
It’s an organization in which we share ideas about Islam and discuss topics that relate to us as students and Islam. The last MSA meeting was about how kids should respect their parents, and that’s important since it’s a common theme amongst people our age.

Why is the MSA important to EC?
The club is important to EC because anyone can learn about Islam in it. The media has portrayed Islam in an altered way, and we want to show El Camino students what true Islam is about.

Are there any requirements to join the MSA?
The club is open to anyone who is curious about Islam.

Do you have any members in the club who are not Muslim?
Yes, we have catholic, Jewish, and atheist members.

How did you get into the club?
I wanted to be surrounded by people who had the same ideas as me. And gradually, I became proactive, becoming the public relations official, and then I was nominated to become the president and won. As the president I coordinate the meetings and the events that are going on. And I answer questions that people have about the MSA.

What upcoming campus events are the MSA involved in?
The highlight of the MSA is the fastathon in which members will be fasting during the holy month of Ramadan and invite anyone to join and eat dinner after the sun goes down and have a discussion. Last years yielded in over one hundred people.
Aside from the fastathon, we also have bake sales and carwashes to raise money for the fastathon and other events. In addition to that, we’re also planning on sponsoring an orphan from Palestine once the economy stabilizes.

What’s the most interesting experience you’ve had while in the MSA?
The amount of people who were curious and interested about Islam during club rush amazed me. A lot of people who were curious ended up joining the MSA, which is now very diverse, and its members are not only Muslim.

Are there are any cabinet positions open in the MSA?
Currently we’re in the process of creating a new cabinet due to most of members transferring to universities.

What are the club’s goals?

Our goal is to raise awareness for the students of EC that Islam is an open minded religion that accepts everyone and anyone to come and join. The MSA also discusses topics that relate to anyone’s life and gives beneficial advice and life lessons.

What are your goals for the club?
Our goals for the club are to raise money for events such as the Fasthathon and sponsoring orphans from the Middle East . Also, to have a Dawa (discussion) table outside, open for any curious people to come by and ask questions pertaining to Islam whenever they feel like.