EC tells Native American Club to compromise on cooking policies

Although there has been a compromise between the Cafeteria and the Native American Club with regard to its fry bread fundraiser, the fact that it was, at one point, not going to happen is unfair.

It is understandable that the cafeteria would be concerned with profit and the possibility of an accident occurring with the hot oil when frying the bread, but such drastic measures did not have to be taken.

Clubs on campus need to have ways to fund themselves as what money they get from the administration is not always enough to accomplish their goals.

The campus should support their endeavors and try to compromise beforehand rather than cutting them off until the club protests enough.

The Native American Club has been doing the frybread fundraiser for years, and it has not hurt anybody.

The Cafeteria should have taken the tradition of the Frybread Fundraiser into consideration, because its standing indicates a lot of people on campus enjoy it and because there are safety procedures which go into making the bread.

The money being made for the fundraiser is intended to go toward the Native American Club’s 11th annual Powwow.

This celebration of their culture should not be deterred due to lack of funding, as it is an experience that is beneficial to all students, and it brings about awareness of other cultural ideas and history.

If the Cafeteria denies them their means of funding, the club will have a difficult time finding money elsewhere. After all, it is not very easy to find places outside of campus which will allow an outside organization to set up and raise money.

If the fundraiser was a problem, it should have been looked into and addressed before it got so close to the date in which the fundraiser was set.

Thankfully, someone saw the demand for the fundraiser and managed to find an appropriate solution to that problem.

Even still, many students said that with the cafeteria making the frybread instead of the Native American Club, the quality seemed slightly compromised and caused delays as many had to wait for the frybread to be restocked.

Perhaps rules can be laid out for clubs with regard to campus and Cafeteria policy beforehand in order to ensure that plans are not made which conflict. This will keep such a mess from occurring again.

If clubs are barred from raising money for themselves on campus, the college should make an effort to support them more in other ways.

Maybe there should be an area on campus dedicated to club activities which will allow clubs to do what they wish in order to raise money for themselves.

In this case, it was good that administrators were willing to compromise as there are obviously many people on campus who care about what is going on with student organizations.

People should continue to support them and the administration should try a little harder to connect with these groups, so it is known that they are respected and cared about by those who are in charge.