Our civil liberties are being threatened

America has always been a representative for freedom and change for the betterment of its people, but our American freedom to create change is about to be taken away from us with the introduction of S. 1959 and H.R. 1955, The Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007.

Using vague terms and language, this bill, sponsored by Rep. Jane Harman, D-Calif. and Sen. Susan Collins [R-ME], states that there is a major threat of homegrown terrorists in America and that people with radical religious, social or political views need to be imprisoned before they commit a violent attack against America.

According to the S. 1959, the term homegrown terrorism means “the use, planned use, or threatened use, of force or violence by a group or individual born, raised, or based and operating primarily within the United States or any possession of the United States to intimidate or coerce the United States government, the civilian population of the United States, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives.”

The term “force” is so vague that it could be interpreted in a variety of ways under the law.

If this law passes, individuals participating or “forcing” a non-violent protest that blocks a street, sidewalk or business could be arrested and put on trial for an act of homegrown terrorism.

The term ‘Violent Radicalization’ means “the process of adopting or promoting an extremist belief system for the purpose of facilitating ‘Ideologically Based Violence’ to advance political, religious, or social change,” according to S. 1959.

The term ‘Ideologically Based Violence’ means “the use, planned use, or threatened use of force or violence by a group or individual to promote the group or individual’s political, religious, or social beliefs,” according to S. 1959.

If an individual adopts a belief system and takes part in a group protest that promotes that groups’ belief system, that individual could be arrested for an act of homegrown terrorism under this new law provision of the Homeland Security Act.

Changes like the suffrage movement, the civil rights movement, the gay rights movement and even the Boston Tea Party were all acts of protest made by a group of people who wanted social change in America and are seen as great achievements of change for the betterment of Americans.

The next social, religious or political movement where citizens protest and march down city streets could be seen by the government as illegal acts of homegrown terrorism because blocking streets, sidewalks and businesses are all illegal acts of “force” that are punishable by imprisonment.

The Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act was passed by an overwhelming 404 to 6 vote by the House of Representatives Oct. 24, 2007 and referred to the Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs.

Luckily, Congress has convened and this bill did not have time to make it through the Senate, but Collins will most likely try to introduce this bill again.

This bill was introduced as a non-controversial bill, passed in less than a week of its introduction and had no media coverage which made it impossible for Americans to lobby together.

As American citizens, our most precious civil liberties of free speech, protest and change are at stake and will be taken away from us if S. 1959 the Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act passes through Congress and is signed by President Obama.