Making a Warrior web cafe is smart

With a limited numer of computers on campus for students to use, people who are not doing school work have to feel guilty when all the computers in the room are taken and there is a student who desperately needs to finish a paper in the next hour.

Sometimes, the computers are not used as they should be and there is no strict order for controlling what tasks people can and cannot do while on the computers.

However, this is not a problem without a solution.

First, there should be an area on campus where people can use the computers recreationally and not strictly for school work. This way, students who have tasks that need to be done for classes can have an area just for themselves, where they can think clearly and not be distracted by cartoons, games or people’s chatroom conversations.

This area should be for recreational computer usage and make it a fun environment. Allow music, talking, gaming and chatting of all kinds.

There could be a “Warrior Cyber Caf?” where students (assumed as “members” of this caf? by having student IDs) can make use of the college’s fast Internet connection and computers for fun.

The college could even make money by doing this. It could charge an hourly fee for members and a slightly higher fee for guests (about $2 per hour for students with an ASB sticker, $4 an hour for those without an ASB sticker.) Plenty of computer games and programs could be available for those who have an hour or two between classes to have fun.

Allowing popular games and programs to be added to the server can encourage students to return because they know there is a place to relax and enjoy the things they do at their own home, but not on campus.

Providing inexpensive headphones for students to buy or rent could help to keep the noise level down, and still keep the experience as interactive as possible.

If a location on campus is a problem, there is a nearly empty building which once housed the campus cafeteria. Also, parts of the Activities Center and some rooms on the lower floor of the Schauerman Library which are not always in use.

An actual food caf? setting on the opposite side of the room, or in the opposite wing of the Activities Center, could provide students a relaxed and a casual area to buy coffee or healthy foods to eat on their time off between classes.

Simply reorganizing the existing layouts of some places on campus could provide the opportunity for students, faculty and guests to have a fun place, while helping the campus generate some income. The creation of this Caf? could also provide jobs for students to maintain the area.

This idea would be an innovation that is sure to be popular with students who want to hone their virtual shooting skills, chat with friends at another campus, or just drop an hour between classes.

The Warrior Cyber Caf? could be a technical fun spot that EC students, faculty and guests would be proud of, while also making some money.