Winter semester benefits students

Friday Dec. 17 is the last day of the semester, and for many students this is the time to enjoy the snow-covered mountains of Southern California.

For others, it marks a preparation period for five weeks of intense studying for classes during the winter break. After spending a last year without a winter session, EC’s Planning and Budget Committee and the governing board have reinstated the winter session, allowing interested students to advance in their educational goals.

The reinstatement is possible due to EC receiving an additional $2.1 million in growth revenue from the state for its ability to serve more students than its budget allowed for. It also received $1.7 million in the state’s attempt to equalize the funding and a cost-of living adjustment, Ann Gartnen, director of public relations and marketing, said.

The increase in the unit fee is also helping finance this year’s winter session.

For students interested in advancing their studies, this session is well-received. Despite the intensity found in condensing classes into five weeks, the session allows students to concentrate on a single course or to fulfill requirements that are not crucial to their general education courses.

The session also allows students to continue to maintain their study and physical skills during the break. For students preparing to transfer, the session allows them to be one step closer to their goal.

The convenience of a winter session at EC is also beneficial for students who were planning to attend a winter session at other neighboring community colleges. This year’s session will feature more than 100 classes, Bill Mulrooney, director of admissions and records, said. This provides all who are interested an array of classes.

Providing a winter session allows students to recognize EC’s effort to fulfill student needs.

Although some students will not take advantage of this year’s winter session, having the option to attend it or not is a refreshing alternative during a time when student services continue to be cut.