Adding a class is too much trouble

It’s time for instructors to open their eyes and realize that adding classes can be frustrating for everyone involved.

Also, it’s essential for instructors to be more accommodating to students who are trying to add courses during the chaotic first week of school.

Let’s face it; adding classes can be a major drag. It’s embarrassing walking into a crowded class and asking the dreaded question, “May I add the class?” Most instructors will politely say either “yes” or “no.”

However, oftentimes unlucky students will run into an instructor who uses his or her power to humiliate with dispicable comments.

Perhaps their reasoning is that they should not be interrupted while teaching class. Or maybe they are stressed out with the burden of an oversized class.

There is no excuse for this disgraceful behavior however, and it is time that these instructors put aside their egos and practice a little humility.

Too many times students find themselves in the middle of these uncomfortable situations and it’s important that instructors walk in the students’ shoes.

Instructors need to have a wide point of view and a sense of understanding for the students.

When students have problems with punctuality or paperwork at the beginning of the semester it is usually due to their lack of familiarity of EC’s rules.

Many circumstances come into play when trying to add a class.

For instance, sometimes it seems possible to add the class when one arrives at the beginning, but 15 minutes later the class is completely full.

If luck is on the student’s side then he or she will get added; if not, two hours were just wasted.

The luck of good timing should not be a factor for those who need to add a class on the first day.

Having to add classes students desperately need in order to graduate is stressful enough.

A few minutes on the first day of school will affect a student’s schedule and personal life for an entire semester.

With so much pressure on students adding a class, the last thing they need is to get verbal sarcasm from an instructor.

Another issue is when registered students get dropped for not attending the first day of class.

There are times when a professor decides that the no-show, pre-registered students will have to be dropped to make room for the add-in students.

Although this could be seen as harsh, it is not completely unacceptable.

Students need to make sure they factor in the time it takes to drive to school, park (which at the beginning of the semester can take a very long time) and find the classes they need.

In some cases, students who are pre-registered and do not show up for class get another chance, but the students trying to add get turned away.

With the budget cuts impacting the number of classes every semester, adding classes may become a huge issue at EC.

What people need to do is cooperate with each other. Professors and students need to have a broad perspective when it comes to the sometimes frustrating process of adding a class at EC.