Editorials

Lack of technicians cause slow repairs

At Issue: There are about 3,000 computers located across campus and only five technicians are employed to fix any malfunctions.

Dealing with more than 3,000 computers on campus, as well as computers at the EC Distant Learning Centers in Inglewood and Torrance, EC’s five technicians from the Technical Services Division of the Information Technology Services Department are close to being worn out.

Before the budget crisis, there were student helpers and employees to assist the technicians in dealing with minor computer problems on a daily basis.

The college continues to buy new equipment, but there is not enough money for hiring help to fix it.

It takes a longer period of time to have the technicians fix computers. Fixing computer errors or problems is vital, because until they are repaired it will greatly affect the efficiency of the campus.

It might be a good idea if the Technical Services Division, along with the Computer Information System instructors, made a deal by offering enrichment or extra credit to have capable students help out with the computer problems on campus.

It wouldn’t cost the division any money, and potential student technicians would gain hands-on experience which they could include in their resumes, as well as gain a better understanding for they’re classes.

Services should be open to all students

At Issue: Food and academic services available to students attending day classes are not available to night students.

It’s hard to leave work at 5 p.m. and make it to a 6 p.m. class. Lunch was at noon and once again, hunger settles in. Only thing is, the deli is closed.

Now the only option is to spend that $1.25 at the vending machine for a Wild Cherry Pepsi and another 80 cents for a bag of Doritos. That will have to suffice until 9:10 p.m.

When it comes to attending EC at night, students are deprived many of the services available during the daytime. This must end.

Many students work a 9-to-5 job and attend EC at night.This closes doors to taking advantage of services available to them throughout the day.

Some of the more regularly used services that close early include the Writing Center, the Health Center, the deli, the Manhattan, counseling services and financial aid services.

Students who attend night classes pay the same amount of tuition and because of this, a reasonable compromise needs to be made.

Services could alternate the hours they’re open. Instead of the deli closing at 7 p.m. every day, it could alternate with the Manhattan to stay open until 10 p.m. The Writing Center could remain open until 10 p.m. one day each week or alternate days to make itself available.

All students attending EC are here to attain a higher education, and in return deserve the opportunity to use all resources available to them be it morning, afternoon or night.