Editorials

ASO takes a stand on tuition fee increases

At Issue: As a result of continuing budget cuts, EC’s student government is planning to protest at the state’s capital. aathe extra $7 per unit.

Sometimes in order to be heard, you have to yell. Sometimes you have to make a stand to make a change. This is exactly what the Associated Students Organization (ASO) did at Tuesday’s rally in front of the Schauerman Library.

Representatives of ASO yelled loud enough to get the message across that it is time for students to get up and take a stand against tuition fee increases and thank you, ASO, for doing so.

ASO has taken action and has decided to use funds collected from the 50 cent lobbying fee, paid by each student attending EC, to give students the chance to join them in Sacramento Monday to march in protest against the fee increases.

Students need to take this opportunity so their feelings about this issue can be heard.

Students, be aware of what a prospect this is. There are more than 2.9 million community college students in the system, and every one of them will be affected by these increases.

So while the occasion is available, stand up and fight for community colleges, fight for student rights, write the legislature and take this chance to yell “keep the doors open.”

Transportation and lodging will be paid for by ASO for those students interested.

For more information about the march taking place Sunday and Monday in Sacramento, or if interested in writing to the legislature, students may contact ASO at (310)-660-3507.

Women’s feats must never be forgotten

At Issue: Since March is women’s history month campus events have been scheduled to celebrate women.

Women have made it a long way. After all, the whole month of March is dedicated to them, which is the least society can do to celebrate and acknowledge the many women who have changed the world for the better.

A long time has passed since women were granted the right to vote or to own property. Contraceptives had to be smuggled into the U.S., yet it feels like it was just yesterday as other obstacles still exist.

Remembering women’s past struggles is important because it demonstrates to society a woman’s will and strength to fight for her rights and gives motivation to the women of today to perserve those rights, as well as continue for more.

In many ways, women have advanced, but the struggle continues as women in the corporate world still face the infamous glass ceiling and there are still countries where women are looked down upon and considered inferior and a burden. In places such as India, dowries still exist and bride burning isn’t out of the ordinary.

A woman in India stood up against these traditions and became a hero because she gave other women a voice.

In America, female heroes cannot be forgotten for they are responsible for the rights and freedoms given to women today and give hope that future women can continue their struggle to change the world for the better.