Highlighting Women’s History Month through hats

Each year, a whole month is dedicated to women who have made numerous contributions to history and people’s present lives, which is called Women’s History Month and takes place in March every year.
To show gratitude and appreciation for these women, there have been various events and showcases to highlight March.
This year, the Women’s History Month Committee is ending the month with the upcoming Hat Show held on March 29.
“It’s really kind of cultural,” Maria Brown, women’s studies professor said. “Hats have always been part of our American Culture.”
The Women’s History Month Committee is ecstatic to hold its third annual Hat Show in the East Lounge of the Student Activities Center at 12:30 p.m.
Faculty members and students will wear various types of hats to showcase at the event.
“Some students have their own hats and I have some church hats,” Brown, said. “And we also have this really nice place that’s going to let us use their hats.”
At the show itself, about 40 people will attend and showcase these hats along with a singer that will help make the event more like a “Sunday afternoon gathering” Brown added.
Hermanlene Ellis will be singing at the event and hopefully accompanied by Dr. Herd from the music department to help enhance this experience for everyone.
Students can enjoy the show by watching students of EC walk down the runway with these hats.
“I’m really excited about the show,” Jamie Lee, 20, undecided major said. “I’ve never been to this before but I’m looking forward to it.”
Brown also added that this show was a way for her “shy” and “quiet” students to get out and do something fun.
“It’s a really great show.” Brown said. “By wearing a hat, your whole personality changes.”
Many of her students have signed up to be in the show, which all has chosen the fanciest hats to showcase.
“Women should feel beautiful wearing these hats,” Brown said. “It’s a chance for them to shine and feel positive all around.”
The committee hopes to acknowledge the women who have influenced and sacrificed a lot for the people to be where we are today.
By attending the show, not only will the students learn about the history of women, but the importance of taking the time to recognize the importance of embracing who we are.