El Camino women’s volleyball team pummels L.A. Harbor College in head coach’s final regular-season home game

El Camino head coach Le Valley Pattison tells a story to the Warriors’ friends and family after being recognized for her many accolades and accomplishments at El Camino on Wednesday, Nov. 9. Photo credit: Elijah Hicks

Getting the win is always a good thing, but getting a dominating victory must feel even better.

Le Valley Pattison has been the head coach for the El Camino women’s volleyball team for the last 26 seasons. She’s added 16 conference championships (with, hopefully for her, one more this year), 14 coach of the year awards and she’s coached back-to-back state championship teams in 2007-08.

Wednesday night was her regular-season finale at home, and although the visiting L.A. Harbor College Seahawks have gotten better over the past year, it was far from enough as the Warriors brought it upon themselves to simply bludgeon the visitors.

After a dominating 17-7 start to the first set, the Seahawks called their two timeouts to hopefully change the momentum.

vslaharbor
Coach Le Valley Pattison VS LA Harbor Nov.9 At ECC Photo credit: Elijah Hicks

Unfortunately, El Camino’s offensive leader and sophomore opposite hitter Taylor Brydon put a huge solo block to begin an 8-0 run to end the set.

Harbor could never find any real momentum and suffered a crushing defeat (25-7, 25-12, 25-11) on Wednesday.

“We expected a little bit more from Harbor,” freshman outside hitter Aiko Waters said. “But I think we (won this) a little bit more for Le Valley.”

vslaharbor3
Freshman outside hitter Jaylin Motley with the attack against the L.A. Harbor College Seahawks on Wednesday night. The Warriors beat the Seahawks in straight sets. Photo credit: Elijah Hicks

And the stats show it tonight as the Warriors outperformed in every aspect of the game, except for reception errors (both teams had six) and blocking errors (Harbor had one and EC had two):

Warriors had 37 kills and only six attacking errors on 63 attempts (.492 hitting percentage), 31 total assists, seven service aces, just one reception error, 29 digs and six total team blocks.

The Seahawks were off-kilter with their 16 kills and 19 attacking errors on 67 attempts (-.040 hitting percentage), 15 assists, one service ace, seven reception errors, 17 digs and just one total team block.

AP0A1987 copy.jpg

“I think we played well tonight,” Pattison said. “We didn’t really let them get into rhythm, I’m not sure if they played poorly or if we played (better) tonight.”

Freshman outside hitter Jaylin Motley’s (shoulder) posted four kills and a solo block in her first game back from injury.

“I felt really good, I’ve been having good practices and swinging more,” she said.

The Warriors are on the road tonight at L.A. Trade Tech College at 6 p.m. before playing their final match at Long Beach City College next Wednesday.