ECC women’s volleyball team advances to next round of conference tournament after win over Cerritos College

El Camino College women’s volleyball outside hitter Mikayla Clark spikes the ball past the Long Beach City College defense during the third set of the match on Friday. Nov. 8, in ECC’s South Gym. ECC advanced to the second round of the South Coast Conference tournament after the win over Cerritos College on Wednesday, Nov. 13. Jaime Solis/The Union

The El Camino College women’s volleyball team will play Rio Hondo College in the second round of the South Coast Conference tournament after sweeping Cerritos College on Wednesday, Nov. 13, hosted at Long Beach Hall of Champions Gymnasium.

The Warriors swept Cerritos College in their previous matchup on Wednesday, Oct. 23, during conference play.

Warriors’ outside hitter Cassidy Crosby started off the game with a couple aces to give ECC momentum.

ECC setter Caitlin Donatucci led the game with 32 assists out of the team’s 38. Warriors’ outside hitter Mikayla Clark and middle blocker Ginia Goods combined for 22 of the teams of 40 kills.

“We have to stay positive throughout the game no matter what the outcome is and provide good communication between teammates,” Goods said.

Falcons outside hitter Sierra Hernandez-Hardy had 12 digs and eight kills while setter Mirka Granoble provided 20 assists.

The Warriors controlled the first two sets before the Falcons went up by five in the third.

“We still need to be a little smarter where we are hitting the ball and staying fast,” Warriors’ coach Liz Hazell said. “We don’t want to give any unnecessary points or runs with any lulls we kind of gave up five points in each game where we could of pulled ahead and don’t want to stay close.”

Warriors’ defensive specialist Kelly Donatucci provided the defense to close out the game with 13 digs.

“Win was good, we did a good job of taking care of business in our match,” Hazell said. “We played everybody twice so we are kind of familiar but got to keep to our game plan.”

The Warriors play against Rio Hondo in the semifinals match Friday, Nov. 15, at 7 p.m. at Long Beach College Hall of Champions.

“We played against Rio Hondo once before and don’t want to fall down two sets like the previous game,” Kelly Donatucci said. “Our goal is to go out and compete for a championship.”