Warriors battle the LA Harbor Seahawks at home

ECC defender Erica Holcombe (No.5) keeps the pace with Seahawks player at El Camino vs LA Harbor women’s soccer game on Friday, Sept. 28, at ECC. Photo credit: Mari Inagaki

On Friday, Sept. 28, El Camino women’s soccer team defeated LA Harbor College in a gruesome 2-1 home game.

From the sidelines, El Camino’s blue jerseys and LA Harbor’s neon ones clashed as soon as the game started at 2 p.m.

In the first half, LA Harbor had more control over El Camino’s side of the field where their goal stood, but the Warrior’s pushed through and did not let them score.

mari-37075.JPG
Midfielder Izabel Gutierrez boots the ball at El Camino vs LA Harbor game Friday, Sept. 28, at El Camino College. Photo credit: Mari Inagaki

After a long battle, El Camino’s forward Robin Riggs, No.3, scored the first goal of the game, ending the first half with a 1-0 lead.

As soon as the second half began, both teams attempted to score multiple times. For the first 31 minutes, neither team was successful.

In the 30th minute of the second half, the Warriors were fouled a third time and El Camino’s forward, Nalleli Mendoza, attempted to score but was caught.

During the second half’s 39th minute, midfielder Elizabeth Velasquez, No.4, passed to Riggs who scored the second and final goal for the Warriors.

Soon following, LA Harbor scored their first goal, ending the game with a 2 to 1 lead by El Camino after a final attempt for a goal by LA Harbor was intercepted by the Warrior’s Goalkeeper Joelle Niimi, No.14.

mari-67098.JPG
ECC Goalkeeper Joelle Niimi stops a goal from LA Harbor on Friday, Sept. 28, at El Camino College. Photo credit: Mari Inagaki

Continuous effort was given from both teams, but the Warriors improved on a skill that was vital for their success in this game with LA Harbor.

“A lot of talking. A lot of communicating. And those ended in goals,” Mendoza said when asked about hoe they achieved the goals that were met.

This was very obvious after watching back and forth conversations that were held between the coaches and lady Warriors.

mari-57083.JPG
Elizabeth Velasquez (No.4) volleys the ball past a Seahawks defender at El Camino vs LA Harbor Friday, Sept. 28, at ECC. Photo credit: Mari Inagaki

It was evident that the Warriors played an intense game that paid off in their favor and Head Coach, John Britton said that “even though the girls have been getting bored during passing patterns in practice, [they] actually did that in the game which cleared [them] out of several dangerous situations.”

Britton went on to add, “As a team we played one of the better games of the season because [in the previous game] we were disjointed. Today we had more teamwork. We connected more which is good.”

maro-87111.JPG
ECC players shake hands after their game vs LA Harbor on Friday, Sept. 28, at El Camino College. Photo credit: Mari Inagaki

September ended in a win for the El Camino Lady Warriors. There next game is on Tuesday, Oct. 2 at Compton College. Kickoff is at 2 p.m.