Beach volleyball team is two matches away from perfect regular season

Jewel Yandall (left), with her partner Brooklyn Rubio gets ready to set the ball during a home game against Fullerton College on April 15. Photo credit: Sue Hong

The El Camino beach volleyball team (14-0, 6-0) went to work once again and came out of last Friday’s matches unscathed in the loss column after beating Fullerton College, 4-1 and Santa Barbara City College, 5-0.

Sophomore Laynie Thompson said she feels good about continuing the win streak and with the current record, the Warriors are now a high-enough seed that they will host the first and second round of the individual playoffs and a regional round of the team playoffs.

untitled.png
Screenshot of the updated schedule of the beach volleyball team's schedule.

“It’s always nice to have home court advantage,” Thompson said. “And I think we’ve definitely worked hard to earn it, so I’m glad we nailed that down.”

There are several other teams in the state that are in the same tier of strength as El Camino like Cabrillo which is 9-0, Irvine Valley (defending state champions of team, No. 1 pairs, No. 2 pairs and No. 3 pairs), Golden West which is 9-1 (only loss is to EC) and Grossmont which is 17-3.

But sophomore Jewel Yandall thinks her partner, freshman Brooklyn Rubio, herself and the No. 5 pair of Victoria Curtice and Jessica Dow are the sleeper pairs going into playoffs.

“We’re on a great run honestly,” Yandall said. “It’s super important that our (No. 4 and No. 5) pairs are undefeated because nobody (expects) that. Usually everyone thinks that the fourth and fifth pair are iffy and aren’t good. But, we are.”

The match against Santa Barbara was the first time the teams met in the regular season, but the Warriors will travel to SBCC to play against the Vaqueros and Bakersfield College this Friday.

This is just the second pair of away matches for the Warriors, but sophomore Brooke Russell has no problems going on the road.

“I think we’ll be fine,” she said. “I’m excited to play them again.”

Heading into the playoffs, of the top six teams in the state, none have yet to face each other; except for Golden West’s loss to El Camino.

“Going into playoffs and possibly (the state championship) the opponent isn’t going to know what hit them (when we play),” Yandall said.