Women’s volleyball team win first place in the South Coast Conference championship

The women’s volleyball team have won its 24th conference title in EC history.

“Winning gave me an amazing feeling because I knew about the teams’ previous records,” Suekalena Tafao, setter, said. “This was my first time playing with the team and winning first place in the conference was exciting.”

Tafao said it felt good to win a home game against L.A. Trade Tech and win in three sets, 25-6, 25-16, 25-14, Nov. 14.

“It was an easy going game and everyone did what they were suppose to do,” Tafao added.

Tafao said that coach, Le Valley Pattison changed the rotation and was mixing it up a little to see how the chemistry of that rotation would flow.

“I think coach Pattison knew what she was doing and knew we were going to win,” Tafao said.

Tafao said she felt good to win first place and be able to continue that winning streak for the EC Warriors.

“I would have felt awful if we would have not won the conference. Knowing that the volleyball team has outstanding records it would have bummed me out,” Tafao said.

Nicole Echeverri, outside hitter, said that the team shares the first place conference title with Pasadena City College and both are first place conference winners.

“We knew they were a pretty easy team and needed to beat them in order to lock down our first place in the conference,” Echeverri said.

Echeverri said that the team stayed focused and avoided making any small mistakes throughout the game.

“We beat them in three sets. It was that easy,” Echeverri said.

Echeverri said she was excited about winning first place in the conference and since this was her first time playing with the team it was extra special.

“All the hard work and practice paid off. I was excited for our team’s accomplishments,” Echeverri said.

Echeverri said that coach Pattison was changing the line up and was confident about her team.

“We did something different in this game. The middle blockers were playing in the back row,” Echeverri said. “No one ever gets switched around but for this game it worked out well.”

Coach Pattison said that the game against L.A. Trade Tech closed out the conference and now it’s time for the team to work even harder to get ready for its playoffs.