Badminton team lose chance at South Coast Conference championship

Battling physical and mental exhaustion in an intense double-header with Pasadena City College at home on Wednesday, the women’s badminton team rallied as a team but lost both games 15-2.

Pasadena is the No. 1 ranked team in the South Coast Conference.

The previous week the Warriors won because El Camino College Compton Center forfeited and lost at East L.A. 18-3.

“Pasadena’s a really good team,” Jaymie Baquero, coach, said. “We battle and we take them to three games and sometimes we don’t come out on top.”

Corrine Belandres, the top ranked player for EC played Pasadena’s first- ranked and second- ranked players and won one doubles match and one singles match.

Becca Maier played Pasadena’s fifth and sixth ranked players.

“I improved my serve by trying a new serving technique and it worked out better,” Maier said. “I want to finish strong and I definitely improved from not knowing how to play to actually staying in the game.”

With the exception of second-year players Alona Barnes, Kumiko Noguchi, and Vanessa Reid, the bulk of the 16-player roster consists of first-year players.

“I think the whole team has improved,” Maier said. “My lasting memory of this team is just being with all my teammates because they’re just so fun and we always have a good time.”

Alona Barnes played the seventh and eighth ranked players for Pasadena.

“I won both my matches and I’m really happy with my performance,” Barnes said. “I haven’t lost any matches this season.”

Vanessa Reid played Pasadena’s second third and fourth ranked players.

“I could’ve done a lot better but I improved on moving them from side to side,” Reid said. “From my first year to this year I’ve improved a lot and I moved up more than one rank.

The Warriors last game of the season is at home against East L.A. this Wednesday.

“I’d say that our defining moment was our first game against East L.A. because everyone brought their A-game,” Belandres said. “They wanted to continue playing better and they have.”

The Warriors, as a whole, did not make it to the South Coast Conference Championships that will start on May 4.

“The attitudes of my teammates are very encouraging and very friendly,” Barnes said. “We’re kind of like a family.”