Hunter leads the pack

While standing on the volleyball court waiting for the game to begin, his eyes move from one opponent to another, and with the referee’s blow on a whistle, the first serve is made.

Hunter Hovland, 20, outside hitter, may start a volleyball game with a few pre-game rituals.

“There is definately a lot of superstition. I always clean my shoes, some gyms are pretty dirty,” Hovland said. “I always wear the same brand of socks and underwear.”

However, starting a game may take more than leadership as a team captain and rituals, but his relationship with teammates and coaches.

“He holds everyone including himself accountable and has a competitive fire,” Kurt Peters, assistant coach, said.

Known for his competitive fire by his coaches and teammates, Hovland has made more than 200 kills, 40 blocks, and 141 digs during this season.

Hovland is the record holder for having the most kills in EC  history.

“During one game, I had to make thirteen kills to make the record,” Hovland said. “I ended up making eighteen.”

Richard Blount, coach of the volleyball team, said Hovland had an unusual pedigree since his father, CBVA Beach Volleyball Hall of Fame inductee, Tim Hovland is one of the “best volleyball players of all time.”

“His father was a very successful and fiery player, and so when I heard Hunter was coming, I didn’t know what to expect,” Blount said.

One teammate, Dustin Ihde, middle blocker, said during the last game season, Hovland would often bring the best out of the team or get angry.

“This year, he has become more patient,” Ihde said. “He doesn’t blast out of bounds, he keeps it to himself.”

Not only has Hunter grown patient, he may have also become a supporting figure among his teammates.

“He makes players better in his own way,” Joseph Tanuvasa, setter, said. “He does so by improving everyone else’s skills.”

Blount said during the last year, Hovland would drive a student who lived in Long Beach on game nights.

“I ask my captains to do a number of things,” Blount said. “The one thing I didn’t ask him to do, he did it anyway.”

Hovland said he believes having an off-the-court relationship with teammates would help the team grow stronger.

“I love these guys, we are great friends and we get along pretty well,” Hovland said.

While Hovland may continue to build a relationship with his teammates and coaches, he does not forget his influence, a figure in his life that brought him where he is today.

“My dad has never forced it upon me to become a great player,” Hovland said. “Seeing him play motivated me to become a great player.”

Hovland said as a child, his family would often go to watch his father play volleyball.

“My mom has always been there,” Hovland said. “She would always drive me to tournaments.”

By the age of 13, he began to play volleyball competitively.

He attended El Segundo for four years and began to show his talents on the court.

“So far, so good. One CIF when I was in high school,” Hovland said. “I made a few honors an played in a few beach tournaments.”

He said he plans to go to USC, where his father played volleyball.

“He’s been really good for us the past two years, his numbers have improved and he competes really hard,” Peters said. “He definitely has the potential to play wherever he likes.”

Outside of campus, Hovland may be found playing other sports such as baseball, soccer, basketball, swimming, hockey, surfing, and beach volleyball.

“It’s like an everyday ritual for me, it feels weird not playing it,” Hovland said.

The volleyball team recently ended its season in the first round of the playoffs.

Although the Warriors were not able to win the championship, they were able to hold a No. 2 rank throughout the end of the season, with the help of Hovland.

“We are lucky to have Hunter. He is six feet five inches tall, knowledgable, and a good player,” Blount said. “If I had a daughter, I would have her go out with him.”